Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Libretto: 1.1

Act 1.1 --The Moss home

Beth (spoken to her doll): When I grow up will you take to live in a big house? With a big lawn? I’d like a fountain and a pool. A pool with lots of carrot-fish. I’d like that, Daniel. We’ll sit in a big swing, like’s in the order catalog, and swing and swing and swing….

Ma: Two little bits of metal, my needle and my thimble, a woman has to sew her family’s clothes against the cold cold weather. Two larger bits of metal, my woodstove and my kettle, a woman has to stew her family’s food against the cold cold weather.

Beth (sp): I’ll race you to the porch. Look Danny… did you ever see such green grass? Such cool water? Mama, the postman! There’s dust way off on the road. It’s Mr. Splinters’ old car. I’m sure I can see it. Will he bring Laurie’s dress? Will he?

Ma: easy now, Beth. Easy. Maybe it’s only the wind blowin the dust.

B: O no, it is his car. Danny, look at the steam. It’s boilin like an old tea kettle. Mother, look and see!

Ma: Yes, it is Mister Splinters! Go see if he’s bringing us something. For as two girls are growing, are feeling and are knowing, one cannot always bear a daughter’s cares. For when the child grows older, and when the wind blows colder, a woman sometimes knows that doors won’t close against the cold cold weather.

B: the package from Chicago… it’s here! It’s Laurie’s dress that’s come.

Mr Splinters: good-day Missus Moss. Here’s that box you’ve been pesterin me for for so long. These catalog order used to come quicker: the post was fast twenty year ago… or so it seemed when I was younger. Maybe it’s me that’s getting slow.

B: Let’s open it mom! Can we open it?

Ma: go slow a minute, Beth. We’re having a little party tonight for Laurie’s graduation tomorrow. Could you and missus Splinters come? And ‘course bring your fiddle!

B: And bring your fiddle too!

Mr sp: I’ll bring my wife and I’ll bring my fiddle too. What two things more could a fellow what to bring to an eatin party? And we’ll dance, won’t we Beth? Funny to think of Laurie all grown up and graduatin. Why she was no bigger’n Beth here a year or two ago…

M: No, no bigger’n Beth here… year or two ago..

Mr Sp: Got to be getting off, Missus Moss. Got to deliver a letter to Missus Gray. Did you hear the news? About what happened to Missus Gray’s girl last night? Seems she met with a feller in the fields. A strange feller here abouts they say. Poor girl’s shook up for a spell. She got an awful fright.

Ma: Heaven help us! Beth go see if the kettle’s boilin over. Did they catch him?

Mr Sp: Nope, but they will. Sheriff’s got a gang out lookin for ‘em. There’s s’posed to be two of ‘em travelin’ together. Wouldn’t be surprised if they turned out to be the ones that set on Jessie Kane two month ago.

M: I heard about that.

Mr Sp: Poor kid. Gonna have a young ‘un they say.

Ma: Bums, driftin’ bums. Can’t they let peaceful folk be? If that ever happened to Laurie, and Granpa Moss found out, it’s terrible to think what he’d do.

Mr Sp: That kind of thinkin’ don’t bring no good, Missus Moss. Be seein’ you tonight.

Ma: Yes, tonight, don’t forget….We’re all so proud; so make the music nice and loud.

Beth: Don’t forget! And bring your fiddle too!

Mr. Sp: I won’t forget!

No comments: