Friday, September 5, 2008

Libretto: 1.4a

Act 1. 4 --- entrance of the boys

Top: Do you suppose they’re making food in there? Don’t know if I’d recognize food even if I smelled it. Ah… if I close my eyes, I can almost small my ex-wife’s stew a-boilin’ away. Damn my wife and damn my belly for bein hungry!

Martin: the day’s a-goin’; our money’s gone. Look at those fields. There’s a harvest that’s waitin’ to be gathered in.

Top: always work, work! I’d rather eat and after eating work at lovin’.

Martin: I’ve seen you work to eat. You’re not as shiftless as you talk. Least ways where your belly’s concerned.

Top: Yeah? All I know it’s easier to my nature bein’ shiftless. It’s hard bein’ other ways. That time I was in jail…Ha! That was a life! Eatin’ and doin’ nothin’ … ‘cept for missin’ the air outside. Damn my belly for bein’ hungry! Might’s well try to work here as anywhere else.

Martin: It won’ t be so bad for a few days. A sleep, a soft sound sleep, and then harvest in we’ll shove off on our way again.

T: Hey, Martin, someone’s over there, behind the porch.

M: That someone’s wearin’ a gingham skirt. Hello! Miss? Madam? Miss! Do you live here?

L: Yes.

M: Your menfolk home?

L: No.

T: Will they be home soon?

L: Yes. Just why are you laughing?

M: We thought a cat had your tongue.

L: Well you’re strangers aren’t you?

Both: Yes.

L: we don’t see many strangers ‘round here. Grandpa doesn’t like me to talk to strangers. He says to be skeptical.

M: Well, are you skeptical now?

L: Yes.

M: Then you ‘ve done right by your grandpa. I’m Martin; this here’s Top. We’re not strangers to you now, so you don’t have to be skeptical anymore.

L: I guess you’re right.

M: but now we’re skeptical. You know our names, we don’t know yours.

L: Mine’s Laurie. Laurie Moss.

Both: Howdy, Laurie! Miss Laurie Moss!

L: Where are you from? Where are you going?

Both: We’ve been north, We’ve been south. We’re going east, we’re going west. We’ve been here, we’ve been there. That’s where we’ve been and that’s where we’re goin’. We’re from the big north, the great sprawling cities, the harbor ports with their big ships sailing in and out. We’re going west where the sun is winter warm, where the air is clear and mountains are high and the pine trees hum. That’s where we’ve been and that’s where we’re goin’. We’re from the wide south, the grassy plains, the lazy towns with their low rolling valleys and sleepy sun. We’re going east where the life is sharp and fast, where the smoke curls and the snow swirls and Bessemers blast. That’s where we’ve been and that’s where we’re goin’. We’ve been north, We’ve been south. We’re going east, we’re going west. We’ve been here, we’ve been there. That’s where we’ve been and that’s where we’re goin’.

Martin: We’ve been everywhere.

T: Would you like to go there?

M: We’ll roll out a magic carpet and whisk you away.

L: You’re making fun of me. I don’t mind ‘cause someday I will see those places.

Grandpa: Halooo..

T: Who’s that?

L: Grandpa’s coming home. Be polite to him. He’s not used to strangers.

No comments: