Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Libretto: 2.1, 2.2

Act 2.1 -- Graduation Party

Top: Not for me, missus Moss, I’ve already had three helpings.

Mrs. Jenks: Did you see him put that food away? He must have hid it somewhere.

T: Where I hid it you’ll never find it.

Mrs J: how many boardin houses have gone bankrupt cause of you two?

T: let’s see… one, two, three, four…

Martin: five boardin houses… and two jails!

All: tall tales, tall tales!

Grandpa: try makin peace with some of my wine. Finest wine anywhere, berry wine.

Mr Jenks: Let’s drink to a good spring harvest!

Grandpa: Here now Mr. Jenks, Harvests come and go. Some are good, others not so good, but they come and go like spring and winter weather. Girls come and go. Some are good others not so good. They come and go too like spring and winter weather. But there’s one that’s a good one, and she is nice as spring and clean as winter. The first of our whole family that’s ever graduated, and that’s what I’m drinkin to tonight, Mr. Jenks.

All: Laurie, Laurie, Laurie Moss!

Laurie: Thank you, thank you all. This whole year it seemed the endpoint of my life was graduation. That was what my ma and Grandpa had dreamed of, what I had dreamed of. What came after? None could tell me, no one knew for sure. But it’s queer, this moment of my life, this celebration, the moment each of us has watched for, and dreamed of , it passes by so quickly. The closer tomorrow comes, the more we wonder what day after tomorrow will be the closer I feel to our land, the more I wonder what those other land s are like. The more I want to wear this dress, the more it doesn’t seem to be a part of me. Maybe I say it all wrong. I’m not sure what I say. But anyway, thank you, thank you all.

Gran: ah Laurie, you are a puzzle, but such a pretty puzzle to your old Grandpapa.

Ma: she’s just nervous Pa.

Grandpa: Never disappoint me, will you Laurie?

Laurie: I’ll try not Grandpa.

Ma: We’ve been at this table long enough. I’ll wager not one of you has got the hustle left to show us what dancing is.

Top: Dancin’s not my line, but we’ll show you what drinkin is, won’t we Mister Moss? (to martin) Remember what I told you. You have a dance while I start with the ole man, then you take him over. Gee, she’s a pretty thing.

Martin: Take it easy, top. Don’t lose us our jobs. She is a pretty thing.

(Dance music begins)
1st Man/All: Stomp your foot up on the floor. Throw the windows open , take a breath of fresh June air, and dance around the room. The air is free, the night is warm, the music’s here, and here’s my home. Men must labour to be happy, ploughing fields and planting rows. But ladies love a life that’s easy: churning butter, milking cows, gathering eggs, feeding sows. Mending, cooking, cleaning, ironing, raising families. Ladies love their fine amusement, putting patches on a quilt, but men prefer to bend their shoulder to something that will stand when built. Dancing ladies, making matches, playing games, singing snatches. Romping frisking, winking, whistling, raising families. Stomp your foot up on the floor. Throw the windows open , take a breath of fresh June air, and dance around the room. The air is free, the night is warm, the music’s here, and here’s my home.

ACT 2.2

Ma: Mr. Splinters, you may think I’m crazy, but I have a funny feelin. Come with me a minute.

Mr. Splinters: how’s that Missus Moss?

Ma: a funny feelin, something strange is going on. Them two men you talked about before, then these two men show up like this so soon…have you ever seen them round here before?

Mr. Sp: Not me. Why Missus Moss, you really thing so?

Ma; I have a feelin. Things they said. Things I heard. The sheriff could clear up my mind.

Mr. Sp: won’t hurt for me to bring the sheriff round for a few questions. I’ll go right now. You rest easy. …… might be… might be….

Ma: drive fast, Mr Splinters, so they won’t have time to miss you! So nice they seem, yet I feel it is them. The chances that we take, have I the right to make an accusation just on feeling? I hope I’m wrong.

No comments: