Thursday, September 4, 2008

Libretto: 1.3

Act 1.3

Laurie: Once I thought I’d never grow tall as this fence. Time dragged heavy and slow. But April came and August went before I knew just what they meant, and little by little I grew. And as I grew I came to know how fast the time could go. Once I thought I’d never go outside this fence. This space was plenty for me. But I walked down the road one day and just happened I can’t say, but little by little it came to be, that line between the earth and sky came beckoning to me. Now the time has grown short; the world has grown so wide. I’ll be graduated soon. Why am I strange inside? What makes me think I’d like to try to go down all those roads beyond that line above the earth and ‘neath the sky? Tomorrow when I sit upon the graduation platform stand, I know my hand will shake when I reach out to take that paper with the ribboned band. Now that all the learning’s done, o who knows what will now begin? O it’s so strange…. I’m strange inside. The time has grown so short, the world so wide.

Ma: That you, Laurie? Why are you so late? Grandpa’s almost home. You know how mad he gets when you’re not home on time.

Laurie: Please mother, it was such a summer afternoon.

Ma: You’ve been getting very dreamy lately. There’s better use for your time than dreaming it away.

Laurie: But sometimes, don’t you ever wish that you could get away, that you could leave us all behind for just a summer’s day?

Ma: You’re just as bad as Beth.

Laurie: For just a summer’s day?

Ma: Just don’t let Grandpa catch you dawdling ‘long the road.

Laurie: I don’t care what Grandpa thinks anymore.

Ma: For shame, Laurie! He’s done so much to see you through school.

Laurie: I know all he’s done and all you’ve done too. But both of you make such a fuss.

Ma; If only I’d had the chances you’ve had…

Laurie: Grandpa loves me, but he doesn’t understand. He treats me as if I was still a little girl, like I didn’t have a life of my own.

Ma: He loves you so.

Laurie: Remember the boy that used to call, that worked at the store in town? The boy that meant so much to me, that might have been my own? Ma, I might have learned to love him. I hoped and prayed that Grandpa could learn see the things that meant so much to me. But when I showed my heart that day, he turned and sent the boy away. O I was so ashamed!

Ma: But Laurie, that happened months ago. Did it mean so much? Grandpa couldn’t know.

Laurie: I’ll never forgive him!

Ma: Forgive him. He’s old. You’re all that he has. Be kind to him. After tomorrow you’ll have your own life. I promise.

Laurie: As long as I live here, I’ll never have my own life, no matter what you promise.

Ma: I’ll see to it myself.

Laurie: You couldn’t get him to see.

Ma; I’ll talk to him.

Laurie: He wouldn’t understand you.

Ma; Why do you say that when I’ve promised?

Laurie: I know you’ll keep your promise, but you couldn’t make him understand what you yourself don’t understand.

Ma: but I do! I do!

Laurie: No you don’t! how could you when you’ve never had your own life!

(Ma slaps her)
Ma: I’m sorry… sorry. Please, Laurie, don’t upset your Grandpa tonight. Be ours for just tonight and tomorrow. Promise me. Won’t you, Laurie?

Laurie: I promise, I promise…. I want to do right.

No comments: